FEDESSA European Annual Report
This is the eighth consecutive annual survey carried out by the Federation of European Self Storage Associations (FEDESSA) among its member associations and their member companies and the fifth to be produced in conjunction with property advisers JLL.
This survey has been produced with input from operators to help quantify the size and drivers of the industry across Europe. We hope it will be a useful reference point for investors and operators in this growing and dynamic market.
This year’s FEDESSA survey was completed by 800 self storage stores with representation from 17 member nations. This represents over a third of the European markety. The survey does not include the industries in the United Kingdom, but responses to the Self Storage Association UK’s (SSA UK) Annual Survey 2019 have been added to this report where appropriate.
Responses to most questions in the survey relate to the facility position as at 31 March 2019.
- The top ten operators in Europe represent 25% of the number of facilities and 40% of the total available space
- 80% of facilities in Europe are located in six countries
- The average rent in Europe is €259 per square metre per annum
- The average occupancy is 79%
- 31% of the facilities in our dataset had occupancy levels of between 85-90%
- 97% of facilities have electronic access control and a third now offer 24 hour access, a significant increase from 19% in 2017
- Operators were slightly more cautious than last year, however three out of four operators are still expecting 2019 to be a more profitable year than 2018
- There are 68 facilities under construction, 52 in the planning process stage and 100 speculative within the survey sample
Historical copies of the report can be found using the links below