Summary of key data
The data from this years report was collected in January and February 2021 with industry data based on the 2020 calendar year. There were additional questions added into all surveys to cover the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Occupancy on current lettable space is 82.3% up from 76.2% last year.
- The UK average net rental rate is £23.94 per square foot per annum
- 92% of customers are satisfied with the service from their self storage provider
- 50% of the public have a good awareness of self storage
- Divorced or separated people are twice as likely to use self storage
- A death in the family is the most common live event that people use storage for
- 29% of self storage customers are involved in moving house
- 43% of self storage customers have used self storage previously
- Customer preference to book their unit in store dropped from 33% to 25%
- People renovating their home are 3 times more likely to use self storage
- Only 17% of customers had their usage or need for self storage change during the pandemic.
Missed out on attending the launch?
You can catch up by watching the recording, click on the resource below to view.
An online dashboard that has also been created, which allows you to further interrogate the data based on geography and other demographics. You can access the dashboard here
Thanks to the team at Cushman & Wakefield for completing the data analysis. Thanks also to all the members who completed the annual survey - without their input we could not produce such a high quality report.
Download the full 2021 Annual Industry Report using the link at the top of the page. For comparison, previous reports are also available to view and download below.
Analysis on data from operators, customers and the general public pertaining to the UK self storage industry.